Info for Win32 GUI newbie?
Harry Potter
2012-07-11 18:38:44 UTC
I started one or two simple, dialog-based Win32 programs a while ago. Now, I want to create a few other simple programs, including some that require changing the system registry. For now, I'm just looking for a good recommendation of a book I could get from eBay, as my only internet download site's speed is a dial-up. I have C++ 6.0 and OW 1.9, and my software should be doable on Win95. Thank you for listening.
r***@pen_fact.com
2012-07-13 14:43:17 UTC
On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 11:38:44 -0700 (PDT), Harry Potter
Post by Harry Potter
I started one or two simple, dialog-based Win32 programs a while ago. Now, I want to create a few other simple programs, including some that require changing the system registry. For now, I'm just looking for a good recommendation of a book I could get from eBay, as my only internet download site's speed is a dial-up. I have C++ 6.0 and OW 1.9, and my software should be doable on Win95. Thank you for listening.
The usual recommendation is Petzold. He put out multiple editions,
sometimes with help.

I prefer Rector and Newcomer "Win32 Programming".

For widest compatibility, use straight Win32 (no MFC) and make sure
you don't use any functions that are supported only a few versions of
Windows. Supporting Win95 will definitely be a bit of a challenge. I
finally put in a few compiler directives (#ifdef) so I could use the
same source code while building separate executables for Win 95 and
everything else.

Robert E. Zaret
PenFact, Inc.
20 Park Plaza, Suite 400
Boston, MA 02116
www.penfact.com
Harry Potter
2012-07-13 16:27:03 UTC
Post by r***@pen_fact.com
The usual recommendation is Petzold. He put out multiple editions,
sometimes with help.
I prefer Rector and Newcomer "Win32 Programming".
I should be able to check these out on eBay this weekend. Unfortunately, my available finances are low.
Post by r***@pen_fact.com
For widest compatibility, use straight Win32 (no MFC) and make sure
you don't use any functions that are supported only a few versions of
Windows. Supporting Win95 will definitely be a bit of a challenge. I
finally put in a few compiler directives (#ifdef) so I could use the
same source code while building separate executables for Win 95 and
everything else.
I'm using OW for most of my work, and OW just does plain Win32, so it would not be feasible to MFC, anyway.

Thank you for listening.