Display Scaling
Tony Duff
2010-03-07 09:42:01 UTC
In Windows 7, programs are automatically scaled to the DPI setting of Windows
using the newer method of scaling in Windows which results in a fuzzy
appearance throughout the program window.

There is a setting available in the shortcut properties dialogue to turn it
off. That works. However, there must be a way to turn this of
programmatically. Is there? What is the method? I am using Visual Studio
2008 will it have the needed libraries for this (I am thinking it might since
this scaling was introduced with Vista).

Thanks in advance,
Tony Duff
Leslie Milburn
2010-03-07 11:16:38 UTC
Post by Tony Duff
In Windows 7, programs are automatically scaled to the DPI setting of Windows
using the newer method of scaling in Windows which results in a fuzzy
appearance throughout the program window.
There is a setting available in the shortcut properties dialogue to turn it
off. That works. However, there must be a way to turn this of
programmatically. Is there? What is the method? I am using Visual Studio
2008 will it have the needed libraries for this (I am thinking it might since
this scaling was introduced with Vista).
Thanks in advance,
Tony Duff
The best approach is the setting in the manifest file as this works for
Windows XP as well.
Tony Duff
2010-03-08 02:28:01 UTC
Post by Leslie Milburn
The best approach is the setting in the manifest file as this works for
Windows XP as well.
I found the documentation on display scaling. It included sample code to
add to the program manifest in order to get the job done. I tried it but VS
(2008) could not compile it saying there was an error in the manifest. Could
you provide me with complete manifest code that would turn it on, please?

Thanks,
Tony Duff
Leslie Milburn
2010-03-08 06:50:50 UTC
Post by Tony Duff
Post by Leslie Milburn
The best approach is the setting in the manifest file as this works for
Windows XP as well.
I found the documentation on display scaling. It included sample code to
add to the program manifest in order to get the job done. I tried it but VS
(2008) could not compile it saying there was an error in the manifest.
Could
you provide me with complete manifest code that would turn it on, please?
Thanks,
Tony Duff
Hi Tony,

I do not use VS2008, but what I do know is that if you edit the file using
certain editors that place (I think Ctrl-Z) as EOF (I use the Brief editor)
then this causes a problem. What I do in that case is open it in Edit
(notepad would do) and then save and close it again. Problem solved. Anyway
here is a sample manifest entry for DPI - I got this off the net from
somewhere a long while ago:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8' standalone='yes'?>
<assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0">
<asmv3:application xmlns:asmv3="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">
<asmv3:windowsSettings
xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/SMI/2005/WindowsSettings">
<dpiAware>true</dpiAware>
</asmv3:windowsSettings>